Made For Retail Inc. is a collection of individuals that are passionate about design, product development, retail and bringing it all together through our strong supply chain and manufacturing expertise. Our approach to design is simple: create desirable products that inspire us and our customers. Our organic process is thoughtful, clever, focused and multi-dimensional leading to differentiated products with a well curated perspective. We take pride in every product we design.
Reporting to Design Management, the Designer will create a variety of collection concepts and products supporting the development process and execution of items within our cycles. A self-starter, this person will have proven ability to work independently and self-manage workload around multiple and competing project timelines. This role works closely with cross functional team members by supporting the design process and execution of program line development including but not limited to, trend research, conceptual design and technical design for mass production. This person will primarily be responsible for collaborating with the Product Development and Design teams to support the overall needs of the PD&D department.
The Designer supports the design team with art direction, design and technical solutions. This individual must efficiently and proactively work on projects that require fast-paced defined deadlines and a sense of urgency. It is an important role and part of our overall quality assurance process as we create beautiful and unique products.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Creates designs in the design development process from concept, color, product design, graphic design, product application, technical specifications and creative packaging.
- Creates and executes project work plans and revises, as appropriate, to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Researches current print, graphic and design trends through various means, including competitive and market shopping, trend service review, lifestyle/cultural research.
- Communicates relevant project information to cross functional teams.
- Seeks ongoing feedback to improve work, taking the time and effort to make it right the first time, and provides constructive feedback to others.
- Takes full ownership of work and is responsible for each detail to create impactful product designs.
- Inputs, tracks and updates presentations and item designs in PLM.
- Presentation readiness including page layout, pagination, printing/binding of materials, and mounting presentation boards.
- Stay on the cutting edge of design and production innovations, graphic arts production techniques and hardware and software innovations within our industry and consumer products.
- Responsible for creation of tech packs; ensuring proper age grades, warnings and technical information is accurate.
- Revise and proof files accurately and efficiently through multiple rounds of review, coordinate and implement changes.
- Creates packaging from concept to finish, including versions of designs to accommodate varying products/sizes, and legal warning statements.
- Responsible for organization and information pertaining to the material library, including uploading images, adding information needed for production.
- Participate in photography, including prepping package mock-ups, supporting photo styling and color correcting imagery.
Essential Skills And Abilities
- 4+ years of professional experience designing consumer products for mass retail
- Industrial, Product or Graphic Design degree, with a proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign)
- Experience in mass Dollar chain retailers and/or commodity price points is a bonus.
- Experience with a PLM system is a plus.
- Excellent design, creativity and technical attributes.
- Superior merchandising, trend, color and design sense.
- Strong understanding of product and technical design.
- Ability to distinguish layout, typography, apply color theory, hierarchy and balance.
- Knowledge of 4 color process printing, as well as spot color printing and various printing techniques.
- Clear understanding of die lines and technical drawings.
- Excellent follow-up skills with the ability to multi-task. Ability to function independently within gray areas or with little direction, depending on customer direction.
- Objective when it comes to client feedback and critiques; highly skilled at acting upon constructive criticism efficiently and effectively.
- Clear and effective communication with all styles to foster ever improving teamwork.
- Organized for productivity and efficiency, yet flexes to anticipate and meet future needs of customers and teams.
- Results driven self-starter making thoughtful, effective, and timely decisions after analyzing situations.
- Stays curious and is a steward for development. Demonstrates a passion for learning with commitment to continued professional excellence.
- Clear understanding and commitment to the highest level of quality and output of work.
- Consistent, creative problem-solving abilities using a solutions-oriented mindset, maintaining a positive and constructive outlook.
To succeed in this role, here’s the type of person you are:
You are a creative problem solver with a passion for innovation, delivering quality and timely results, and a drive to continuously learn and develop. Collaboration is your middle name. You enjoy teamwork and thrive in a collaborative project environment with ongoing deadlines. Your communication skills are top notch and you aren’t afraid to speak up to present new ideas or recommendations. You are self-motivated, have a sense of urgency and like working in an energetic, fast-paced environment. You’re easy to work with. You proactively approach problems. You are flexible, adaptable, high-energy and ready to turn creative concepts into successful business results. You do what’s necessary to get the job done, on time, all the time.
Made For Retail is committed to two basic principles: do good work and be good people. In addition to developing great designs and producing quality product responsibly and efficiently…
- we strive to have a positive impact on people and in our communities.
- we support a safe, unbiased organizational culture and an inclusive experience for all stakeholders.
- we work hard to create and ensure a thoughtful product experience for all guests.
- we aim for the highest standards of honesty, transparency, and integrity in all that we do each day.
Made For Retail Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Apply For This Job
Fill out the form below to apply for this job