Made For Retail, Inc. is a team of individuals who are passionate about design, product development, retail and bringing it all together through our strong supply chain and manufacturing expertise. Our approach to design is simple: create desirable products that inspire us and our customers. Our organic process is thoughtful, clever, focused and multi-dimensional leading to differentiated products with a well curated perspective. We take pride in every product we design.
Reporting to the President, the Senior Director of Operations will oversee critical company functions, including workflow and process, overseas sourcing, supply chain, vendor matrix management, quality, compliance, and logistics. This important leader will develop impactful support strategies, implement financial best practices and pricing/costing methodologies, drive ongoing operational efficiencies, provide outstanding customer communications and services to key retail accounts, refine processes and policies, engage with and optimize the impact of our overseas team and factories, manage and motivate staff, hire and train future employees, and manage area budgets and allocation of resources.
The leader we are looking for possesses excellent organizational, leadership, teamwork and communication skills, has a proven career track record with progressive levels of responsibility, and comes with wisdom and insights on what it takes to be successful in the wholesale – retail marketplace. The contributions of this Senior Director will drive sales and improve margins, continue to strengthen key business relationships, support and enhance Made for Retail’s ethics and values, and help us exceed our overall business objectives for revenue, profitability and growth.
Responsibilities and Duties Operational Efficiencies
Workflows, procedures, systems and tools to do our work
• Report and deliver on the monthly, quarterly and annual execution of company business plan(s).
• Drive process excellence and integrity in product management, negotiations, sourcing and execution.
• Collaborate with management on the implementation of improved processes and new technologies, managing ongoing, cross-functional workflow refinement, troubleshooting and deployment.
• Apply expert functional and critical thinking skills to resolve business challenges.
• Identify and actualize enhancements to support company vision and sustainability of business results.
• Develop and integrate a fitting QA and compliance strategy for both local and overseas activities.
Sourcing insights, Vendor Optimization
Optimization of manufacturing and supplier relationships, best in class financial and functional outcomes for team, customers, and owners
• Identify, conceptualize and drive strategic pricing initiatives.
• Execute high level strategies that enhance production efficiencies while enhancing margins, value, and delivery of product programs developed and purchased by our retail clients.
• Partner with the Director of Asia Operations to develop long-term vendor management and sourcing strategy, rigorous analysis and methods, training and ongoing performance assessments for vendors.
• Define financial and negotiation strategies alongside the Controller and President to support current and new manufacturing partnership scenarios, opportunities, and terms.
• Build, elevate, and evolve functional roles and strengths of overseas team.
• Oversee and help define effective QA and QC workflow, client protocol, and internal methodologies.
Strategic Teamwork and Planning
Continuous planning, goal setting, and improvement in pursuit of doing great work
• Create, guide and provide managerial oversight to the daily, monthly, quarterly and annual planning processes and issues within the global operations of the organization.
• Communicate business strategy, product and factory matrix plans to the operations organization as well as customers, corporate personnel, leadership team and ownership.
• Drive sales and improve margins by continuing to strengthen key business relationships and exceed our overall business objectives for revenue, profitability and growth.
Developing the skills and effectiveness of managers, guiding and teaching data-based decision making, metrics, and the ongoing measuring of results
• Tracking and analysis of profitability, costing, and sourcing strategies of ongoing programs as well as special situations and new businesses operations.
• Performance management of functional team members, providing reviews, ongoing coaching and training initiatives to optimize employee talent and capabilities.
• Delegating and challenging with engaging responsibilities that ensure team members become active and enthusiastic contributors
Ensuring the organization translates our vision and strategy into reality through inspiring and motivating others, and clearly communicating expectations all while coaching positive activity and proactive decision-making accretive to our goals
• Collaborate with leaders across functions to craft, integrate, and implement business plans to achieve desired best in class results.
• Develop future organizational leaders through coaching and the reinforcement of high business and ethical standards in the industry.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree in business management or MBA.
• 10-15 years of business operations, supply chain, and management experience, preferably in the big-box retail marketplace.
• Strong working knowledge across various business functions including finance, product development, manufacturing and quality assurance.
• Financial costing acumen, highly organized and productive with meticulous attention to detail.
• China / overseas sourcing, vendor management, and production experience preferred.
• Prior use of enterprise-wide software and/or Product Lifecycle Management software.
• Ability to plan and make business projections 3 years into the future.
• Self-motivated team player with a high sense of urgency.
• Strong leadership qualities and practices, with proven ability to partner with US and China based-peers and colleagues.
• Ability to teach and coach data-based decision making, metrics, and the ongoing measuring of results.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and highly effective interpersonal skills.
• Entrepreneurial spirit and vision that drives client satisfaction while generating new business
opportunities and increasing team efficiencies and productivity.
• Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
• International travel (+/- 20%) and ability to meet requirements for valid passport and foreign entry visa attainment.
• Fluency in Mandarin Chinese a plus, but not required.
In alignment with Made For Retail’s Core Values, this position will adhere to the high set of ethical and moral standards that govern how we do business.
While we do our best, it is impossible to list every requirement or responsibility of any one position. Similarly, we cannot identify all tasks a position may involve since responsibilities and business needs change over time. Therefore, the above job description is not comprehensive or exhaustive.
Made For Retail Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.