The Production Artist at Made For Retail is primarily responsible for collaborating with the Product Development and Design (PD&D) team to support the technical design needs of the PD&D department. Artwork is created by our in-house Designers and handed off to our technical Production Artists who inspect, correct and prepare art files for mass production. This position has a high demand for tight deadlines and immediacy in providing solutions and answers. It requires work of a very precise nature. It is an extremely important role and part of our overall quality assurance process as we create beautiful and unique products.
Made for Retail is a collection of individuals that are passionate about design, retail product development, and global production. Our approach is simple: innovate and create desirable products that inspire us and our customers. Our organic process is thoughtful, clever, focused and multi-dimensional in approach; leading to differentiated products with a well-curated perspective. We take pride in every product we create and strive for a collaborative and inspiring studio environment.
This position is primarily responsible for collaborating with the Product Development and Design (PD&D) team to support the technical design needs of the PD&D department. Artwork is created by our in-house Designers and handed off to our technical Production Artists who inspect, correct and prepare art files for mass production. This position has a high demand for tight deadlines and immediacy in providing solutions and answers. It requires work of a very precise nature. It is an extremely important role and part of our overall quality assurance process as we create beautiful and unique products.
- Production/graphic design background, with solid knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign) for use primarily in production, and some design
- Keen interest in the technical production aspects of design, with openness to learning Made for Retail’s unique file preparation system
- Affinity for creating solutions under the direction of a design colleague and according to style guides
- Aptitude for both digital (on-screen) and analog (hands-on) sample creation
- Knowledge of die lines, layers and various printing techniques, with understanding of 4-color process and spot-color printing desired
- Entry-level (0-2 years) production design experience; pre-press knowledge is a distinct bonus
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare highly technical, detailed and organized 2D and 3D production files as needed from concept art provided by designers.
- Revise and proof files accurately and efficiently through multiple rounds of review,
coordinating with the PD&D team to implement changes.
- Serve as main point person for production file updates throughout the entire product life cycle.
- Create packaging from concept to finish with adherence to style/brand guides, including versions of design to accommodate varying products, sizes and legal warning statements.
- Color correct imagery as needed.
- Assist design team with necessary projects to help the entire PD&D team function efficiently
- Utilize creative problem-solving methods to address daily challenges.
- Anticipate making (and tracking all) last-minute changes to production art files.
- Maintain constant communication with PD&D team members regarding project status.
Additional Job Duties
- Manage mock-ups process, from setting up art files to operating in-house printers. Using hands-on techniques, develop physical mock-ups, manage printers and technology, and maintain mock-up materials.
- Participate in photography, including prepping package mock-ups and supporting photo styling for lifestyle shoots.
- Prepare for presentations including page layout, printing/binding of materials, and mounting presentation boards.
- Stay on the cutting edge of design and production innovations for consumer products, graphic arts production techniques, and hardware/software upgrades within our industry.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent attention to detail with strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to distinguish good layout/typography and apply color theory, hierarchy and balance.
- Great communication skills; team player who thrives in a collaborative project environment with ongoing deadlines.
- Excellent follow-up skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated and able to function independently with limited direction.
- Flexible and ready to ensure the best processes and systems for smooth completion of all projects.
- Thrive and work constructively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Willing to work occasional after-hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate initiative, conscientiousness and complete follow-through in areas of responsibility
- Comfortable in knowledge of printing techniques, particularly 4-color process and spot color.
- Understanding of product die lines and technical drawings since work is not in “page” format.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present ideas, facts and recommendations.
- Adept at troubleshooting and taking the initiative to find the information needed to get the job done.