The Production Artist at Made For Retail is primarily responsible for collaborating with the Product Development and Design (PD&D) team to support the technical design needs of the PD&D department. Artwork is created by our in-house Designers and handed off to our technical Production Artists who inspect, correct and prepare art files for mass production. This position has a high demand for tight deadlines and immediacy in providing solutions and answers. It requires work of a very precise nature. It is an extremely important role and part of our overall quality assurance process as we create beautiful and unique products.
Made for Retail is a collection of individuals that are passionate about design, retail product development, and global production. Our approach is simple: innovate and create desirable products that inspire us and our customers. Our organic process is thoughtful, clever, focused and multi-dimensional in approach; leading to differentiated products with a well-curated perspective. We take pride in every product we create and strive for a collaborative and inspiring studio environment.
This position is primarily responsible for collaborating with the Product Development and Design (PD&D) team to support the technical design needs of the Product Development Department. Artwork and item formats are created by our in-house Designers and handed off to our Production Artists who inspect, correct, modify and prepare art files for mass production. This position has a high demand for tight deadlines and immediacy in providing solutions and answers. It requires work of a very precise nature. It is an extremely important role and part of our overall quality assurance process as we create beautiful and unique products. This position will report to the Manager of Design.
Key Objectives & Responsibilities
- Production and/or graphic design background, with solid knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign) for use primarily in product design and production.
- Knowledge of die lines, layers and various printing techniques, with understanding of 4-color process and spot-color printing desired.
- Keen interest in the technical production aspects of design, with openness to learning Made For Retail Inc.’s unique file preparation system.
- Affinity for creating solutions under the direction of a design colleague and according to style guides.
- Aptitude for both digital (on-screen) and analog (hands-on) sample creation.
- Entry-level (0-3 years) production design experience; pre-press and printing process coursework a distinct bonus.
- Prepare highly technical, detailed and organized 2D and 3D production files as needed from concept art provided by designers.
- Revise and proof files accurately and efficiently through multiple rounds of review, coordinating with the PD&D team to implement changes.
- Serve as main point person for production file updates throughout the entire product life cycle.
- Create packaging from concept to finish with adherence to style/brand guides, including versions of design to accommodate varying products, sizes and legal warning statements.
- Color correct imagery as needed.
- Assist design team with necessary projects to help the entire PD&D team function efficiently and effectively.
- Utilize creative problem-solving methods to address daily challenges.
- Anticipate making (and tracking all) last-minute changes to production art files.
- Maintain constant communication with PD&D team members regarding project status.
- Manage mock-up process; setting up packaging art files; using hands-on techniques, develop physical mock-ups, manage printers and technology, and maintain mock-up materials.
- Prepare for presentations including page layout, printing/binding of materials, and mounting presentation boards.
- Stay on the cutting edge of design and production innovations for consumer products, graphic arts production techniques, and hardware/software upgrades within our industry.
- Participate in photography, including prepping package mock-ups and supporting photo styling for lifestyle shoots.
Additional Skills & Qualifications
- Packaging design experience and knowledge of consumer packaging die-lines, warning labels, and point-of-purchase (POP) shippers and mass-market retail packaging a huge plus.
- Excellent attention to detail with strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to distinguish good layout/typography and apply color theory, hierarchy and balance.
- Great communication skills; team player who thrives in a collaborative project environment with ongoing deadlines.
- Excellent follow-up skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated and able to function independently with limited direction.
- Thrive and work constructively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Willing to work occasional after-hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate initiative, conscientiousness and complete follow-through in areas of responsibility
- Comfortable in knowledge of printing techniques, particularly 4-color process and spot color.
- Understanding of product die lines and technical drawings.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present ideas, facts and recommendations.
- Adept at troubleshooting and taking the initiative to find the information needed to get the job done
In alignment with Made For Retail Inc. Core Values, this position will strictly adhere to the high set of ethical and moral standards that govern how we do business.
It is impossible to list every requirement for, or responsibility of, any position. Similarly we cannot identify all the skills a position may require since job responsibilities and business needs may change over time. Therefore, the above job description is not comprehensive or exhaustive. We reserve the right to adjust, add to or eliminate any aspect of the above description. We also retain the right to require all employees to undertake additional or different job responsibilities when necessary to meet business needs.