To manage product line development by coordinating design direction for various innovative and trend-focused projects. The Product Development Manager will take each cycle from program conception through the creation of production factory files. This will be accomplished by efficiently and proactively working on projects that are marked with defined deadlines. This position will report to the manager of Product Development Managers.
Key Objectives & Responsibilities
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of core product development projects; continuously evaluates and resolves technical feasibility and design optimization of products and programs.
- In-depth interpretation of industry trends, innovation, customer brand guidelines, regulations, and business objectives to pursue profitable products.
- Analyzes macro to micro trend development through competitive and market shopping, trend service review, and lifestyle/cultural research. Stays abreast of trends in the marketplace to ensure the product/assortment’s competitive position.
- Interacts consistently with clients to forecast and determine a product and/or programs cycle direction.
- Fully leverage and influence resources across work areas, departments and vendors to create solutions and timelines that accelerate emerging business opportunities.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to establish design, product development, financial analysis and assortment strategy. Provide leadership and guidance to multiple departments throughout the product development process.
- Manage communication through all phases of the product cycle with excellent detail, follow-up and professionalism.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer/Client Service – Manages difficult client situations; Responds promptly to client needs; Solicits client feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments made to clients.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and seeks clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Caters writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethics; Upholds organizational values.
- Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong skills and knowledge of: Microsoft Suite (Word, Access, Excel and Outlook); Moderate knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign).
- Must have a good eye for trend and a strong sense of urgency in a fast paced, dynamic retail environment.
- Must have a solid understanding of cost levers and developing products to meet price points.
- Must be easy to work with-flexible, creative, high energy and optimism, and ready to turn creative concepts into awesome business results.
- High performer who is a creative problem solver with a passion for innovation, delivering quality and timely and continuously growing oneself and the organization.
- Effectively communicate a vision and oversee its execution.
- A strong product management background.
- Engages in all content and is able to present design vision and philosophy.
- Superior merchandising, trend, color and design sense.
- Able and willing to identify and implement operational efficiencies.
- Adapts quickly to change.
- Driven by deadlines with a high sense of urgency.
- 5 plus years of experience in trend focused consumer product development.
- Experience working with Target Corporation in Merchandising.
- Experience working with a National Retailer.
In alignment with Made For Retail Inc. Core Values, this position will strictly adhere to the high set of ethical and moral standards that govern how we do business.
It is impossible to list every requirement for, or responsibility of, any position. Similarly we cannot identify all the skills a position may require since job responsibilities and business needs may change over time. Therefore, the above job description is not comprehensive or exhaustive. We reserve the right to adjust, add to or eliminate any aspect of the above description. We also retain the right to require all employees to undertake additional or different job responsibilities when necessary to meet business needs.
Made For Retail Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Applicants for this position must successfully pass a background screening, and/or additional skills tests as determined by management.