The Financial Controller oversees all finance and accounting operations for Made for Retail. This includes leading a team of direct reports and a variety of responsibilities including the generation of financial statements and ad hoc financial reporting, enhancing the company’s depth and accuracy of business data, proactively seeking out business insights and reporting them to management, maintaining an adequate and accurate system of accounting and finance information, and maintaining/enhancing a comprehensive set of controls and budgets to mitigate risk. This position reports to the General Manager.
Made For Retail is a collection of individuals that are passionate about design, product development, retail and bringing it all together through our strong supply chain and manufacturing expertise. Our approach to design is simple: create desirable products that inspire us and our customers. Our organic process is thoughtful, clever, focused and multi-dimensional leading to differentiated products with a well curated perspective. We take pride in every product we design.
- Consistently demonstrate high level of business curiosity in independently identifying and driving analyses that support decision-making across the business.
- Deliver value by seeking out and proactively making recommendations to leadership, always seeking to maximize ROI and mitigate risk.
- Provide continuous update on business performance by collecting, interpreting and reporting financial data; very strong emphasis on generating information from data to “tell the story”.
- Produce accurate, meaningful and succinct information that is tailored to the financial acumen of recipient(s), serving as a strong partner supporting internal and external stakeholders.
- Generate monthly financial statements and comprehensive reporting package including executive summary of key drivers, trend analyses, KPIs by function, variance to budget/forecast analysis, etc; build out reporting package as needed.
- Responsible and accountable for overall operations of finance/accounting function including; general ledger, A/P, A/R, activity-based cost accounting, revenue recognition, bank reconciliations and cash flow forecasting.
- Maintain and enhance current set of financial controls and accounting/reporting systems, including integration of future PLM/ERP system.
- Establish and enforce internal financial controls; update/modify as needed.
- Ensure that financial records comply with current accounting principles and financial reporting standards as well as comply with all local, state and federal tax filing and reporting requirements.
- Collaborate with General Manager to create annual budget and predict budget forecasts.
- Manage and lead finance team; develop individuals in alignment with their strengths, opportunities and goals; build out finance resources and team structure as required.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of information with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with ambiguity and identifying/solving challenges through independent curiosity and use of expert knowledge cannot be overstated enough – the opportunity to create value in this role will be driven through the use of finance rather than accounting.
- Demonstrated creativity in solving problems using financial data and an ability to see what others might not in the data.
- Demonstrated aptitude for independently analyzing business opportunities with data and generating information to support recommendations, decisions and actions.
- Demonstrated ability to succinctly summarize key findings of a financial analysis that are clearly communicated to and understood by the audience – this step is required for all internal reporting
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, controls and procedures.
- Strong analytical ability and proficiency with analytical and accounting software (Excel, Access, QuickBooks, Microsoft Great Plains).
- Strong attention to detail and ability to effectively communicate both internally and externally.
- Proven ability to work with stakeholder groups at a distance, particularly in China.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business administration. CPA or CMA designation a plus.
- 7+ years of progressive experience in accounting, finance or business administration.
- Experience managing a highly skilled and dynamic team of professionals.
- Experience in finance and accounting including general ledger management, creating financial statements and generating executive-level financial reporting.
- Experience with month-end/year-end close as well as budgeting; prior experience with audits a plus.
- Experience working in a mid-sized company and high growth environment.
It is impossible to list every requirement for, or responsibility of, any position. Similarly we cannot identify all the skills a position may require since job responsibilities and business needs may change over time. Therefore, the above job description is not comprehensive or exhaustive. We reserve the right to adjust, add to or eliminate any aspect of the above description. We also retain the right to require all employees to undertake additional or different job responsibilities when necessary to meet business needs.
Made For Retail is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Applicants for this position must successfully pass a background screening, additional skills tests as determined by hiring manager and may be required to pass drug screenings as well.